The neck is an extension of the spine. It supports the head and there is a need for the head weight to be supported with proper foot balance, elongation, and abdominal support. This position is required to breathe constantly free of stiffness and tension.
Neck injury happens mostly during competition or rehearsals. This is the time one pushes physical limits more. With greater stress, it works physically and mentally. This gets into combination with interpersonal stresses. In a competitive environment, it leads to occasional dehydration, improper breathing, increased anxiety, and low blood sugar. Having all the pressure on you, there is one thing to snap and it is your beautiful neck.
Repetitive practice cause extreme endurance, flexibility, strength, and power. Regrettably, many experiencessprain, strains,and misalignment of joints while moving. This happens even at an early age. The body movements are intricate and there is a lot of stress on muscles, bones, tendons, and ligaments.
A neck sprain may cause a ligament injury or a neck strain may be a pulled muscle causing muscle injury. A strained neck is an acute injury and a neck ache is a problem for athletes as it is chronic. Regardless of the reason, whether it is a sport or a dance, a neck pain is serious and fortunately is treatable in majority cases.
How does neck pain happen?
The exact reason for neck pain is not clear, but it may be the irritation of the ligaments as it is stretched or due to overused muscles. In tennis players and golfers it may be due to overuse. A neck strain happens when players get hit suddenly on the neck in contact sports athletes.
Neck pain is common in public too. It can be bearable, but sometimes people experience constant neck pain causing a discomfort feeling, while some have painful stiffness preventing them from doing anything.
Stress is a major part causing trouble:
- Physical stress causes repeated actions that neck strength is required.
- Mental stress is dues to anxiety, fear, partner-wars, fatigue, causing shoulder and neck pain.
- Environmental stress is due to irregular meals, dry or cold air, ballroom-fatigue, etc.
Neck Pain Relief
If there is a serious spine or neck injury, there should be no movement. Send immediately for medical assistance. Any tingling numbness or pain down your fingers or arm, leg pain, over an hour indicates seeing a specialist check for nerve root compression in your neck and if so, it is serious, that cannot be ignored.
For routine neck strains follow these guidelines:
- Give rest and healing time for your neck.
- Take anti-inflammatory mild medicine like ibuprofen or acetaminophen
- Apply ice packs 3-4 times a day for initial 48-72 hours. The take hot compresses, hot showers, etc
- Perform neck exercises slowly by moving side to side, up and down and ear to ear.
- Sleep on firm mattresses minus a pillow.